Pen Pal


image by: Debby Hudson on Unsplash

Secrets... 
Do you share all your secrets to your parents, friends, or a cousin? I never. Nor do I share it with my sibling, even though it is common to share secrets to our siblings but not so common😅 maybe because of the fear that they might someday reveal it, or maybe if they start judging us. Or maybe they might go against it as they are really concerned about us. Maybe these are the reasons I never make a mistake of sharing my secrets just to be on the safer side.

So how about sharing secrets to a stranger who has no contact to your family, friends etc? Somebody who has no reach to your contact, address? Somebody who stay miles away? Sounds comfortable to me. 

If I find somebody to write letters to, to share my stories with, share my feelings to, that person becomes my Pen Pal, my Pen Friend.
According to Google, back in 1930s, once a teacher felt a need of connecting her students to the students of some other countries. With the intention of learning about the culture, lifestyle, language of the foreign countries. With a hope to create international friendships. This was the main purpose of having a pen friend. 

Pen Pal was a tradition those days, where a school going student from India makes a habit of writing a letter to a student outside India. And as time passed, these students became friends, they started sharing their secrets, they grew together but not really together. These pen friend relations were famous those days. There are also many movies based on the same concept, You've got a mail(1998), Sirf Tum(1999), Out of Reach(2004) and many more.

image by: Bundo Kim on Unsplash


Pen Pal then was replaced after the internet era started. Even these pen friends had no time to write so they used to make calls, shared mails, got connected online. As it was more convenient anyways. Today even if we feel nostalgic and feel like bringing back those days we might fail, not possible because even the Post Master might laugh if we go to post a letter. 

कुछ कुछ होता है' के 21 साल पर 21 सवाल ...
gif source: scoopwhoop.com


Even though I never had a pen pal I felt like writing on this after reading an article on  pen pal story of an 81 year old man on 


Comments

  1. Never thought I'd be waiting for saturdays also in the lockdown

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never knew about this concept, it was good to know. Nice blog ��

    ReplyDelete
  3. After reading your blog. I remember my school days. That time it was in fashion to have Pen Friend. We feel jealous to them, who had Pen Friend from Western countries. Because we are from Marathi medium and having poor English. So we could not wrote nice letters in English. I remember those days.. Nice blog Amu. Waiting for your next blog....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Meme though��

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Follow to receive an email notification whenever I share my thoughts over.

Follow By E-mail

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Popular Posts